Box gone Loopy

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
JG3view

Re: Box gone Loopy

Post by JG3view » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi
OK got it open removed drive have run WD diagnostics on it it passes

Will have to setup a Linux boot for my PC to go further

Meanwhile is a 160GB drive large enough to stick in as a box test?

Thanks
1 * 3view PVR Codgeview Craigkelly Transmitter Fife Scotland

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:26 pm

A small drive will certainly work as a test. Just leaves less space for recordings.

I'll go digging in the cupboard tomorrow. See what parts are in there. As you can see, there are only two boards inside. If anything is playing up I assume it would be the main board. The tuner board would show up problems in a different way.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:35 am

Happy New Year to anyone left on the forum.

My box is not so happy though! It's been gathering dust for some months now because I have both Huawei and Humax boxes. Whenever I power the 3View box down, I always have problems getting it going again. This time it was looping the initial splash screen and not getting to the Codge screen. I have two hard drives which both booted up OK before power down. Now both were giving the same fault. The only way to get the box going again in the past has been to reinstall the original 37956 and then add CodgeV2 again.

The 37956 software works OK and even loaded 6 HD channels before crashing. The date was correct and network correctly identified and returning pings.

The problem started when entering the long password under telnet. Never had problems before when using highlight / Ctrl/C and Ctrl/V. Copies OK into editor without extra spaces etc. so no problems there. Highlight /right click mouse/ copy works but right click mouse over input does not give option to paste. I have tried reinstalling 37956 again, loaded the latest copy of Putty and spent hours trying to get the password recognised all to no avail.

The password entry blinking cursor block does not respond to Ctrl/V nor when the enter key is pressed. If the entry key is pressed a second time, the cursor moves to the next line, then after a few moments reports incorrect password. Further Ctrl/v's shows as >M's. After a while putty times out and the window closes. Does anyone remember if the password should show or the cursor should move to the next line after pressing the enter key please?

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Post by Barry The Sprout » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:42 am

I'll do some putty experiments later. I can't quite remember from memory.

I am pretty sure it does not echo the password back. Avoiding the classic "shoulder surfing" of someone watching you type.

Have you tried using an older version of Putty in case it is just something fussy with Putty?

Random Thought: When you are doing the copy \ paste of the password, where is the password coming from? A text file or a formatted document (word\pdf\html)? I always pop passwords like that into a raw text editor like Notepad and copy it out from there. That avoids picking up any extra formatting or linefeeds that are hidden in the WYSIWYG editors.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks Barry, yes I started with the original version of Putty, which I had used many times before, and then tried the latest 64 bit version. I thought I had found the password from somewhere within these notes but I do know I also copied it from a PDF file at some time. After copying it, I pasted it into Notepad ++, saved it, closed the file then reopened it again some time later and copied it from there again. I would have expected that to remove any formatting hidden characters? I agree with you that I don't recall the password being echoed on the screen but I seem to recall the cursor moving to the next line when enter was pressed.

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:54 am

Found the problem! Normal copy and paste commands don't work with Putty. The paste command has to be hold down Ctrl then right click mouse, followed by enter and the cursor then moves on to the next line and the password is accepted. Normally I would use Ctrl/V or right click mouse and select paste rather than Ctrl and just right click mouse. Thanks for your help Barry.

BEELEY

Post by BEELEY » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Still having problems. Box was booting into 3view splash screen then brought up codge screen for 1 second and rebooted again. I could get the box into maintenance mode but could not Telnet in. Stated password incorrect in all combinations of old and new logins and password. Eventually I reinstalled original 37956 and then added CodgeV2 again. Back working again but crashing repeatedly when doing a channel search. Eventually I let it scan a mux, stopped the scan to save the channels then restarted the scan. I eventually had 119 channels but unfortunately we receive signals of equal strength from two transmitters and it's the next hundred or so channels required. It is very time consuming since it scans from the lower frequencies first every time. Manual scan would have been a better option but most of the designated mux's don't produce any channels!

I could have lived with this but after powering the box down overnight, it was back to the 3view splash screen and 1 second of the codge screen.The constant rebooting prevents Telnetting into the box. With hindsight, powering the box down has always resulted in this behavior. Any ideas what the problem is and if there is a solution short of leaving the box powered up please?