Firmware patch codgev1 now available.

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
samiam

Re: Firmware patch codgev1 now available.

Postby samiam » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 pm

I can now fill up my EPG in EPG mode only to lose half of it when transferring to Normal. I have given up trying to work out why!

Sam.

Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Likewise for me today --- but I just kept trying until it didn't disappear when going back to normal.
Can't explain why it does that sorry .
Regards

samiam

Postby samiam » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 pm

I tried again after I noticed the clock was all wrong. Reset manually and now full again,

Sam.

Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Yes forgot to mention --- I also messed around with the clock.
Noticed something odd --- I am used to the clock losing time BUT this time it was ahead of its self by about 10 minutes !!
Regards

Tadziu

Postby Tadziu » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 pm

I have recently experienced similar problems. These would include loosing clock time and random loss of EPG data. I would have gaps in previously populated EPG. However, this was only a tip of the iceberg - the stability problems were related to HDMI compatibility with my TV. Also the EPG would populate only partially.As a result of continues crashes I have lost of my recordings. I had no option to recover using recover console.

Since the reformatting and recovery 3view was better than it was new. No crashes on switch off , EPG is full and stable.

I wonder, if your problems have anything to do with:
possible software corruption or
how full the hard disk in the 3view recorder is

I have noticed that the 3view is much more responsive with almost empty hard disk. No problems, no hung up, no EPG problems.Admittedly, it could be to do with the software reload, but I have a feeling that it may be to do with the empty space on the disk - similarly to my laptop actually.

If you experience such stability problems it may be worth to reload the software using recovery console - although this was much easer for me as I have lost the recording anyway. I guess your would have to transfer your recordings to another disk.

I am not an expert, so it would be interesting to hear Barry's and Codge' s view on the above before doing anything.

Kev

Postby Kev » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm

My box has been in EPG mode for the last 4 days and went to record something only to find no EPG on all channels,Codge V1 by the way.
So I have deleted just about everything from the hard drive as a start and now have EPG data back .
The drive was far from full --- but you may well have hit the nail on the head.
Time will tell.
Regards

Tadziu

Postby Tadziu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Kev,
I am on Codge V1 as well. As from the software reload the box works like a dream. The reaction is quick and positive, no hesitancy, no delays. But this would be expected after software reload. I have also noticed that my box do not reboot any more when populating EPG - no more crashes. This was very unexpected. I got full EPG in not time at all. I will update EPG tomorrow, I will post back if this happens again

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Postby Barry The Sprout » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm

I wonder about the effect of fragmented files in a almost full hard disk. Specifically I am thinking about the database that holds the EPG.

No idea how relevant this is in Linux, but an almost full hard disk is always going to be tougher to work with as the free space is in lots of little bits scattered all over the place.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

Tadziu

Postby Tadziu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 am

I have just done a EPG populating session, unfortunately the box still crashes during an update, but much less than previously. The full week EPG update has taken about 5-10 min. The box has crashed twice. The EPG has been fully populated with no gaps.

In my case, this is an improvement as previously I would have to leave it on for hours, and the results would vary. A week ago I have conducted the recovery of the HD and since then the box is better.

oldcodge

Postby oldcodge » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Barry The Sprout wrote:I wonder about the effect of fragmented files in a almost full hard disk. Specifically I am thinking about the database that holds the EPG.

It's not really relevant. Partly because the filesystem used is not really affected to any great degree by fragmentation but mostly because the EPG data is tiny anyway. Also, the 3view will start deleting old recordings long before the disk is really full.

-codge

Return to “Hardware and software support”