Firmware patch codgev1 now available.

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
larkim

Re: Firmware patch codgev1 now available.

Postby larkim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Done second box. I have a snag though. The "connection status : connecting" message never appeared before I had update to the latest firmware. However, now, both before and after installing CodgeView, I permanently have this overlaying the TV picture.

Any suggestions?

Matt

Edit: OK, got around this now with the PVR / Home / back to live TV approach. Is this what everyone else experiences, or is there something I can clear from the logs to stop it failing to phone home?
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

samiam

Postby samiam » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes it is covered in the instructions. Codge says he may be able to get rid of this message some time in the future. It is got rid of each time by the way you did it,

Sam.

larkim

Postby larkim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Oops, obviously skim read that bit!

Matt

oldcodge

Postby oldcodge » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:07 pm

larkim wrote:I'm going to edit the cron file to allow the scheduled overnight update of the EPG. Any reason why you didn't add this in by default codge? Was it the number of AV amp people that would have been woken in the night that you were concerned about?

That was a big part of the reason, also I don't want to try and explain about cron to non-Linux aware people just yet. Been a long day, I think the patch is using sensible defaults (i.e. no 4am surprises).

larkim wrote:I presume the comments at the top of the "root" crontab ("don't make edits to this file" etc etc) are just legacies of the installation of crontab in the first place?

No, you should not edit that file directly. Use google - the command 'crontab -l' shows (lists) the current entries in the file and 'crontab -e' opens it for editing. The only editor on the 3view is vi, another thing I don't want to do is explain to anyone how to use vi! :D

larkim wrote:You've gone for 4:15am wake up in EPG mode and 5pm revert - is that your estimate of how long it might take to get the EPG done?

It seems to be enough time, gcpete has been using cron to update his EPG, hopefully he will have some better info about how long it needs.

-codge

larkim

Postby larkim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm OK with vi :-)

Thanks for that!

Matt

sturge08

Postby sturge08 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Advice needed please.

I was chuffed to bits to successfully telnet into the 3view box and install Codge's patch - however when I went to scan for the channels the dam pvr just won't stay on long enough before it crashes, so all my joy quickly has turned into frustration. I can get to about 66 channels found before it crashes. Has anyone got any tips which would allow me enough time to scan for all the channels before a crash. I have tried both with a scart and hdmi lead and had no joy with either.

Any helpful response is most welcome.

oldcodge

Postby oldcodge » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:48 pm

sturge08 wrote:when I went to scan for the channels the dam pvr just won't stay on long enough before it crashes, so all my joy quickly has turned into frustration. I can get to about 66 channels found before it crashes.

I don't think there is anything you can do except keep trying as you are. It should eventually succeed. You could try doing the scan without the patch. But I don't think it will make any difference.

I'm curious why you need to scan for channels?

If/when you do get it through the scan, the patch will make a backup of your channel data so in future you could restore the channel data without scanning.

-codge

BernardUK

Postby BernardUK » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:19 am

Just want to say a public "thank you" to oldcodge for causing the restoration of my box #1 (admittedly after a necessary fsck and reformat of its disc).

The Workaround instructions are clear and well thought out (not to mention the code!) and I will be applying them to my box #2 in due course.

Those of us who are persevering with our 3view setups are privileged to have in oldcodge a technical wizard who's so interested and willing to hack in the best possible sense for public benefit.

Ta again. Bernard.
Bernard, Kingston upon Thames, 2 x 3view (A & B), Crystal Palace.

sturge08

Postby sturge08 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 am

I need to scan for channels, so I have something to watch. Without finding the channels before switching off epg and flicking to normal/safe mode I have nothing to watch. In safe mode if I don't have the channels it just says no channels found and hangs with a blank purple swirl. I tried searching for channels last night for 2hrs solid. Old Codge your reply has given my the suspicion that i am doing something wrong. Where is the backup of channels stored - perhaps I could go straight to that instead?

larkim

Postby larkim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 am

Presumably someone else in the same transmitting area might be able to send a backup of the channel data to be used on sturge08's box to avoid the scanning issue? Or is that overly simplistic?

Matt

Return to “Hardware and software support”