Firmware patch codgev1 now available.

Support for hardware and software issues. Ask your question and (hopefully) someone will give you an answer.
gcpete

Re: Firmware patch codgev1 now available.

Postby gcpete » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 am

For those cosidering using the cron job option, please remeber to turn down your AV sstem before you go to bed...trust me it is a nasty supprise at 4:15. Second I have found that 45 minutes is plenty. However those of you with long memories will recall that there was always a problem with the way the 3view scaned for EPG data which meant that changes would not be reflected in what we saw in our EPG's. Well ofcourse scanning is still buggy and I find that I get odd gaps in the EPG, sometimes whole channels sometimes bits. I keep an eye on the EPG and every now and then boot into scanmode and switch channels for a bit, this seems to get the scan process really going and I get a full weeks worth of EPG. Make sure your not recording anything when you do this else your recordings will end up in bits. I had to use the same channel switching palaver to get a full epg to start with, overnight scans never gave me a full epg, even leaving it on for hours and hours.

Peter

samiam

Postby samiam » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:38 am

Maybe I am being a bit daft but people keep talking about "scanning" for channels or allowing the Box to "scan" to update the EPG. I have all my channels and nothing in my EPG "No Information". So do I just need to use Cron to set up the timing option? Is it then that the Box (if it has enough time to do anything before locking and rebooting) is trying to fill in the EPG? Obviously I will be waiting for the instructions for Cron,

Sam.

larkim

Postby larkim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 am

I think people are talking "scanning for channels" as being the setup of finding channels as you would do if you had a new box, or if you had moved from one transmitter area to another.

The EPG "scanning" is a background process which updates the contents of the programme guide based on the channels that you have previously scanned. Its this EPG scanning activity which is apparently the root of the box locking up, and of course having a full EPG is essential for a PVR to work.

Hope this clarifies things!

Matt
2 x 3view PVR, both on CodgeView. Winter Hill region.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Postby Barry The Sprout » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 am

Not had a chance to install yet, but when updating the EPG try leaving the TV on BBC1. On other Digital TV devices I have worked with, the BBC muxes seemed to fill the EPG quicker.

If people need help with vi, cron, and linux in general, stick the questions in the Telnet thread. Sometimes it can be a little tricky to get a straight answer out of Google on those subjects as there are so many sources. So we'll try and get some of the common answers put into there for the novices. There are already a few items in there and links to example manual pages.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

sturge08

Postby sturge08 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:41 am

yes larkin. I am "scanning for channels" as being the setup of finding channels as you would do if your had a new box. Regrettably I hit erase and scan, once i got codge's patch installed. Now I can't get any channels to save.

I haven't even started to concern myself with the EPG scan yet.

Barry The Sprout
Site Admin

Postby Barry The Sprout » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 am

@sturge08: If it is any consolation, I have been through a period of the box just locking up during channel scanning. It would freeze mid-scan for no reason.

Then another day it just worked fine. One key thing is having patience. The box does a lot of messing around at boot up and in the minutes following. So turn it on, then come back to it ten minutes later. Then try your scan.
No one on this forum has ever worked for 3View CE Ltd, we've no association with that dead company. We just own boxes like you. We're a band of hackers trying to get the hardware we have paid for to work. We are doing this for free in our spare time

sturge08

Postby sturge08 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 am

Barry the sprout - say i get the channels to scan and save, am i right in thinking I should immediately put the box into safe working mode? At what point in time do i risk putting it into epg mode to obtain an up to date channel guide. If i do this will all my saved channels be compromised and put me back into this re scan scenario which I currently am in. I get the impression that epg mode is best put on last thing at night, but surely the next day I will be confronted with a locked up box without any channels. I'm sorry if I appear basic, but i am no expert at all. Telneting into the 3view box was a struggle to understand at best. I feel everyone on this forum are way above my level of understanding. Sorry if my questions frustrate you experts, but I'm doing my best to keep up with you all.

Kev

Postby Kev » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:10 am

sturge08.
Just to add ---- I have not done any patching of my box yet as the darn thing has been behaving for the last few days since the 19th September rescan.
I also hit "erase and scan". the first scan found around 66 channels only .
Not happy with this I did a second scan again "erase and scan" --- this time the box froze.
A third scan after a reboot found 126 channels --- I only receive signals from 1 transmitter and the box has worked faultlessly since.
As mentioned by Barry --- "Patience and keep trying".
At some stage I will pluck up the courage to try and talk to the box ..........
Regards Kev

Edit :"I feel everyone on this forum are way above my level of understanding"
Minus 1 !!!
Kev

oldcodge

Postby oldcodge » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:44 am

sturge08 wrote:Barry the sprout - say i get the channels to scan and save, am i right in thinking I should immediately put the box into safe working mode? At what point in time do i risk putting it into epg mode to obtain an up to date channel guide. If i do this will all my saved channels be compromised and put me back into this re scan scenario which I currently am in. I get the impression that epg mode is best put on last thing at night, but surely the next day I will be confronted with a locked up box without any channels. I'm sorry if I appear basic, but i am no expert at all. Telneting into the 3view box was a struggle to understand at best. I feel everyone on this forum are way above my level of understanding. Sorry if my questions frustrate you experts, but I'm doing my best to keep up with you all.

No, if you get through the scan once, the result is saved and will not be "lost" even if you have crashes in the future. Also, just to be clear, this problem is nothing to do with the patch, everyone with a 3view has the same problem and we are all frustrated by it. Persistance and patience will ultimately pay off, eventually it will get through.

One thing you could try is letting the thing have time to settle before you start the channel scan, say five minutes, see if that helps?

-codge

oldcodge

Postby oldcodge » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am

Regards this channel scanning problem, there is something we, as a collective of 3view owners, can do about it....

If, for whatever reason, you are in the situation where you need to re-scan for channels (using the setup->channels->scan channels 3view gui menu) you will find it frustratingly difficult to get the box to finish scanning without crashing. It's a real pain.

However, any one who does eventually get through it, will find that the patch saves the channel data for them automatically overnight in a simple text file. This saved channel data can then be used to re-program any 3view that is in the same Freeview transmitter region. Bypassing the need to scan for channels in future.

The problem is that there are (I think) nearly 70 different transmitter regions in the UK. So we would need the channel data for each one of the regions. This information should be available online somewhere, so we could create the necessary channel data text files ourselves.

I'm in the Crystal Palace transmitter region, so I have the data that could re-program any other 3view that is also in the Crystal Palace region. What I would need, is people in other regions to send me their data files too, then I could provide a way for these to be imported into the 3view boxes whenever needed in future...

Anyone want to volunteer to help?

-codge

Return to “Hardware and software support”